Abrus Precatorius (Jequirity).
Our materia medica mentions its use in ophthamology and skin mainly in Epitelioma,Lupus,ulcers and Granular lids.
The symptoms from Poisoning by the seeds are as below
Abrin (and Ricin) cause toxicity by inhibition of protein synthesis.
May possibly cause severe allergic reactions.
Skin - Potential for allergic skin reaction; redness, blisters, pain.
Eyes - Tearing, swelling of the eyelids, pain, redness, corneal injury.
- Cardiovascular (heart and blood circulation) shock from severe dehydration, life-threatening low blood pressure, fast heart rate (tachycardia) and irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmias).
- Central Nervous System (brain) - drowsiness, disorientation, hallucinations, seizures, coma.
- Gastrointestinal (stomach and intestines) - burning pain in the mouth, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, bleeding and swelling of the lining of the GI tract, liver cell damage and death.
- Genitourinary (kidneys and urine) - blood in urine, low or no urinary output, kidney cell damage and death.
- Musculoskeletal - muscle weakness, tremors, and muscle spasm (tetany)
- Eyes - dilated pupils and bleeding in the back of the eye (retinal hemorrhage)
- Skin - blue skin (cyanosis) and redness (flushing)
EFFECTS OF SHORT-TERM EXPOSURE:
EFFECTS OF LONG-TERM OR REPEATED EXPOSURE:
Severe vomiting and diarrhea may result in severe dehydration (hypovolaemic-shock) and multisystem organ failure: effects on GI tract, kidney, liver, and pancreas.
Unknown. However, based on its similarity to ricin, abrin may cause Allergic syndrome with congestion of nose and throat; itchy, watery eyes; hives; tightness of the chest; and in severe cases - wheezing.